Why Not a Civic Association

Aqui se les informara de los temas importantes y criticos que tienen que ver entre los propietarios. Usted podra opinar e inclusive proveer soluciones a esos temas.

This forum is to provide information about critical and important issues that need the attention of the property owners. You can discuss and provide solutions to these issues.
Responder
colmport
Numero de Lote: 61
Urbanización: Torreon

Why Not a Civic Association

Mensaje por colmport »

Friends and Neighbors:

An idea came to my mind recently to end rancor and to re-establish tranquility to our paradise. There is clearly a group of property owners who are interested in advancing the welfare of our community as a group. There are others who believe that the welfare of the community is perfect as it exists and who desire no alteration to the status quo. There has been an effort over the past few years to form a homeowner's association to manage the community. As many postings and the last general meeting reflect, this concept has met with stiff resistance and it is unlikely that it will become a reality in my lifetime in the absence of a radical change of the laws governing the Republic of Panama.

Where I originated in Ohio my neighbors entered a similar affray with the same result. The vast majority of owners wanted nothing to do with a homeowners' association (many having fled communities where such reigns of terror existed). The compromise was to form a Civic Association. The Summerfield Civic Association has been in existence now for nearly 40 years. Its members meet, elect officers, conduct business, and banter ideas to improve the community that the organization then forwards to the local management (The Violet Township Trustees in the case I cite). The Civic Association organizes community events and community drives. It conducts such events as an annual Easter egg hunt for local children among other civic events. The Civic Association collects voluntary payments from residents to conduct its events. Even those who rabidly oppose a homeowners' association participate in or donate to the causes of the Civic Association.

This is the type of Voluntary Unincorporated Association that I have referenced in many of my posts. Such an Altos de Cerro Azul Civic Association would fill the same perceived void here. The civic association could meet regularly. It can exchange ideas and make suggestions to the management of the community. It can plan and conduct events or programs (recycling or education for example) to advance the welfare of the community. It could collect voluntary donations to fund its programs or events.

Such an unobtrusive association would fill the perceived void that the CDF has sought to fill. It would be inoffensive to those who are content with the status quo and who vehemently oppose the imposition of a homeowners' association where one is neither necessary nor required. Those who seek to organize to benefit the community would have their association. Those who desire to live in peace under the current conditions will be left to enjoy their property in tranquility. In short, it has been a win-win situation where it has been tried. It would be a win-win situation in Altos de Cerro Azul.

Mark P. Ort
Casa 61, Torreon
Responder