Internet Providers

Este espacio es para solicitar o proveer información a otros residentes.
Por ejemplos anunciar cosas para vender o comprar, recomendar o solicitar un servicio como plomeria, jardineria, pintura, etc. Vender o comprar un auto u otras cosas como muebles, electrodomesticos, etc.
Propaganda para actividades commercial no es aceptable.

This space is to ask for or provide information to other residents.
Examples are things to sell or buy, look for or recommend a service like a plumber, gardener, etc. Sell or buy a car or other things like furniture, appliances etc.
Advertising for commercial activities is not acceptable.
Responder
colmport
Numero de Lote: 61
Urbanización: Torreon

Internet Providers

Mensaje por colmport »

I have tried utilizing Cable and Wireless for the past ten years. The service remains very poor despite nearly daily reports and promises to repair the situation. We pay for 5 megabytes and we receive 0.4 megs, 0.6 megs and every so often as much as 1.6 megs for a few seconds. The internet drops more often than it works. To say this is frustrating is an understatement of the highest order...

Does anyone here have an alternate provider that actually provides somewhat reliable service? If so, can you provide me with the name and the contact information so that I can gain some peace of mind? Also if you could give me an idea of the cost for reliable (or even passable) service...I will be grateful. We have no line of sight from our home to Cerro Jefe but another wired or satellite provider that does not require line of sight to Cerro Jefe's towers would be fantastic.

Mark y Yari Ort
Casa 61, Torreon
Marco
Numero de Lote: 233
Urbanización: Centinela

Re: Internet Providers

Mensaje por Marco »

Hay un nuevo servicio de internet de un torre en El Centinela por Panetma. Aquí está el enlace:
http://www.panetma.com/internet-cerro-azul.html

Panetma is providing expaned internet service from a tower located in El Centinela. This is microwave service so requires line-of-sight to the tower. The antennae on our house is able to get a signal through the trees between us and the tower.

The service is more expensive but so far has been stable. No dropouts! We are adding internet phone service with a Panama number that gives 300 minutes for $5/month.
Here is the link for more information.
http://www.panetma.com/internet-cerro-azul.html

I would be surprised if the signal would reach outside of our barriada, but you never know. If you are ready to switch, Panetma will come to install and check the signal. (I have no financial interest in Panetma)

Panetma sent a note of clarification:
Technically, it requires either line-of-sight or near-line-of-sight, which in case your is a fairly small number of trees between you and the tower. A few trees are OK. Many trees or any hills is a no go.
Leslie "Marco" Lieurance, VP
Vecinos Vigilantes on Facebook
Vecinos Vigilantes on Twitter
Whats App group for emergencies only
Responder