Puma

Este espacio es para solicitar o proveer información a otros residentes.
Por ejemplos anunciar cosas para vender o comprar, recomendar o solicitar un servicio como plomeria, jardineria, pintura, etc. Vender o comprar un auto u otras cosas como muebles, electrodomesticos, etc.
Propaganda para actividades commercial no es aceptable.

This space is to ask for or provide information to other residents.
Examples are things to sell or buy, look for or recommend a service like a plumber, gardener, etc. Sell or buy a car or other things like furniture, appliances etc.
Advertising for commercial activities is not acceptable.
Marco
Numero de Lote: 233
Urbanización: Centinela

Puma

Mensaje por Marco »

Yesterday Puma concolor or León crossed the main road as we were driving below the crossroads. A beautiful, bounding cat quickly disappeared down the dry creek bed into the bushes. A thrilling sight, our first, and a great privilege of living in this wonderful national park.

A few months ago a worker told us there was a cat that killed one of his owners dogs. We can confirm the big cats are here. Keep your dogs and cats safe inside...beware and be aware.
Leslie "Marco" Lieurance, VP
Vecinos Vigilantes on Facebook
Vecinos Vigilantes on Twitter
Whats App group for emergencies only
RomanSainz
Numero de Lote: 136
Urbanización: Torreon

Re: Puma

Mensaje por RomanSainz »

Wait, what?

Many times I have smelt a strong animal odor, while hiking (often alone) to the Romeo and Juliet waterfalls.

How dangerous are these *cats*?
colmport
Numero de Lote: 61

Mensaje por colmport »

We live at 61 Torreon. Three years ago my wife called me because a jaguarundi (pantera negra) was in our back yard. I was able to take two or three photos befoe he or she departed. They are indeed beautiful cats. I have never seen him or her since. The workers in the area did not believe me until I showed them the photos. They then told me that a similar cat has killed a mule nearby.

I can send photos to anyone interested. I sent them to the Smithsonian to have the identity of the backyard cat verified.

I do not feel they are a threat to humans. They are more likely endangered by dogs than a danger to dogs. They would likely eat smaller animals, dog or cat.

To the Romeo and Juliet hiker, the smell you smell is of wild boars or peccaries. These wildpigs can be dangerous if startled. They will usually avoid you at all costs but avoid them if you see them first. When I lived in Turkey, we encountered them. They would run 99.9% of the time. On occassion they would get agitated and kill a dog that would chase them. I never knew of a human attacked except when hunting the boars and then a hunter would sometimes be attacked by a wounded animal. Thus the hunters always hunted in pairs and they carried a sewing kit (literally) to stitch their dogs...

Mark y Yari Ort
stevenospam
Numero de Lote: 122
Urbanización: Fortin

Mensaje por stevenospam »

Mark, please post your photos of the jaguarundi. I'm sure many people would like to see them. I've seen them a few times since we've lived here and they are always running away rapidly.
Steve
avechaser
Numero de Lote: 142

Mensaje por avechaser »

We love these reports! They confirm that we are living in a very privileged place.

To add to Mark's and others' comments, no wild cat in Panama (not even jaguar) is considered dangerous to humans, despite what some locals will tell you. Usually they just run away (the cats, not the humans). The only exception might be if you get between a mother jaguar and her cub, but that is extremely unlikely. I have seen both Puma and Jaguar tracks in the forest close to Los Altos de Cerro Azul (the latter only once), as well as Ocelot. But yes, they might eat pets so watch out.

I agree about the strong smell you sometimes come across being most likely Collared Peccary, although cats will mark territory and that does smell. Collared Peccary are in the forest here but rarely seen - years ago they would even come onto our property but sadly not any more. The larger White-lipped Peccary goes around in sometimes huge herds, makes a real racket and clacks its teeth at you. But generally it is harmless. There have been occasional reports of this species in the deep forest below Los Altos de Cerro Azul.

Another aniimal that is here and is often mistaken for a Jaguarundi is Tayra, a large type of weasel. Here it is mostly black with a long bushy tail (the Jaguarundi has a slim tail).

There is a great illustrated book on Central American Mammals by Fiona Reid that you can get in the Smithsonian. Fiona did a few days' research for the book in and around Los Altos de Cerro Azul

Bill
colmport
Numero de Lote: 61

Mensaje por colmport »

Here are photos of the cat in our yard in 2008. I sent these to the Smithsonian as I did not know what type of cat this was . They called him a jaguarundi. He was the size of a coyote (probably 30 - 50 pounds, although I did nto try to weigh him/her...). The cat was than twice the boy size of my 30 pound dog.
DSCF3151.JPG
DSCF3151.JPG (890.93 KiB) Visto 10315 veces
Adjuntos
DSCF3153_edited.JPG
DSCF3153_edited.JPG (996.88 KiB) Visto 10315 veces
DSCF3152_edited.JPG
DSCF3152_edited.JPG (797.55 KiB) Visto 10315 veces
mtcool
Numero de Lote: 122
Urbanización: Fortin

Mensaje por mtcool »

Buenas fotos y lindo animal! Gracias!
Great photos and a beautiful animal! Thank you!
lascanoj@msn.com
Numero de Lote: 135
Urbanización: Vigia

Mensaje por lascanoj@msn.com »

Nice Pic..thank you......Saludos Marisol Vigia 135
Oris Herazo
Numero de Lote: 128

Mensaje por Oris Herazo »

Buen día, He quedado sorprendida con la noticia del "Puma Concolor" que fue visto el fin de semana. Aunque mi esposo siempre me dice que estamos en un área montañosa, en donde nos ha tocado ver culebras en nuestra casa, pero siempre con la precaución y el cuidado que conlleva vivir en su territorio. Esperemos que no suceda nada lamentable, sólo estar siempre alertas. Gracias por este foro, que nos permite enterarnos lo que sucede en nuestro residencial de montaña. Sería buenísimo programar una tarde de algún fin de semana, para conocernos y juntos todos buscar la manera de protegernos. Saludos y que tengan un lindo día.
Oris y Edwin
Altos del Torreón #128
avechaser
Numero de Lote: 142

Mensaje por avechaser »

SOMASPA, the Panamanian NGO that studies wild mammals, has an ongoing study in the Chagres National Park. They are interested in getting from Leslie the exact location (GPS) where the Puma was seen. They should also like to see Mark's photos of the Jaguarundi. Mark - Please advise if that is OK with you.

They also may be interested in placing camera traps in some areas of Altos de Cerro Azul and the surrounding forest to see what gets around here. I shall keep the forum advised. The traps catch photos of passing animals,

They have a nice webpage at http://www.somaspa.org

One of these days we shall persuade them to give a talk up here. Should be interesting.

Bill
Responder