Snakes in Paradise (of course)

Este espacio es para solicitar o proveer información a otros residentes.
Por ejemplos anunciar cosas para vender o comprar, recomendar o solicitar un servicio como plomeria, jardineria, pintura, etc. Vender o comprar un auto u otras cosas como muebles, electrodomesticos, etc.
Propaganda para actividades commercial no es aceptable.

This space is to ask for or provide information to other residents.
Examples are things to sell or buy, look for or recommend a service like a plumber, gardener, etc. Sell or buy a car or other things like furniture, appliances etc.
Advertising for commercial activities is not acceptable.
Responder
Maricia Miller
Numero de Lote: 204
Urbanización: Centinela

Snakes in Paradise (of course)

Mensaje por Maricia Miller »

Having seen our previous gardener bitten by a fer-delance snake, :( it should be interesting for everyone to know more about them, so I am enclosing a link to the Panama-Guide with the story of a woman bitten while in Romeo y Juliet. ....http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php ... 0190303814

They certainly always want to keep away from humans, but if you turn over a rock ... beware ... :o
The photo is useful for those who might not have seen one
Saludos
Maricia

Google traduccion (mas o menos!) :lol:
Después de haber visto nuestro jardinero anterior, mordido por una serpiente Fer-De-Lance,: (debe ser interesante para todos saber más sobre ellos, así que estoy adjuntando un enlace a la Guía de Panamá-con la historia de una mujer mordido mientras que en Romeo y Julieta http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php ... 0190303814 .....
Ciertamente quiere mantener lejos de los seres humanos, pero si a su vez sobre una roca ... tener cuidado
La foto es muy útil para aquellos que no han visto un ...
tsimons
Numero de Lote: 89
Urbanización: Frente
Ubicación: Bella vista, calle 42 y calle Colombia, Edificio Rocamar, planta baja, oficina no.1
Contactar:

Re: Snakes in Paradise (of course)

Mensaje por tsimons »

Dear Mrs Miller,
As it has been announced in PACAR´s previous seminars at the Cerro Azul Club, we will be having this coming week a team of technicians from Panama´s University who will be inspecting and collecting scorpion & snake specimens in the area. They are coming up on thursday and staying over until sunday when they will be turning over their finding to the profesors for evaluation and further presentation to all residents who may attend the sunday seminar. I´m including the University´s formal comittment to this project.

Thanks to Prof. Noemí Farinoni & Lic. Iris Simons for their efforts in making this come true!

Estimada Sra. Miller,
Tal como fuere anunciedo por PACAR en las charlas previas llevadas a cabo en el club de Cerro Azul, tendremos esta semana la llegada de un equipo de técnicos de la Universidad de Panama, quienes estarán inspeccionando y recogiendo muestras de escorpiones y ofidios durante las noches del 29, 30 y 31 de este mes, para luego entregarlos a los investigadores del proyecto que llegan el domingo para dictar la charla a todos los residentes que asistan el domingo. Incluyo la carta de la Universidad comprometiendose a ésta proyecto.

Gracias a la Prof. Noemí Farinoni y a la Lic. Iris de Simons por sus esfuerzos en lograr esta actividad!

Terani Simons
CIIMET.pdf
Carta de la Universidad de Panama
(193.24 KiB) Descargado 465 veces
epidemia
Numero de Lote: 62
Urbanización: Fortaleza

Mensaje por epidemia »

I recently had an experience with a red snake. Don't know the name for it, but I didn't want to mess with it. Attached photo. Is there any documentation available at the Administration office so we can get more info about the snakes?
Adjuntos
red snake in Cerro Azul
red snake in Cerro Azul
IMG-20120903-WA002.jpg (124.8 KiB) Visto 5385 veces
Daniel Muñoz
Fortaleza-62
avechaser
Numero de Lote: 142
Urbanización: Torreon

Mensaje por avechaser »

The photo is not that clear, but it is probably a pseudoboa, which is non-venomous, not aggressive and perfectly harmless to humans. If its not that, then its some other kind of harmless snake, since the few poisonous snakes in our area are all quite well patterned and not red (with the exception of a young clelia, but I am pretty sure its not that). Knowledgable campesinos tend not to kill either species I have mentioned, because pseudoboa eats rodents and clelia does not attack people and loves to eat fer-de-lance!

If you want to send me a photo to wjadsett@hotmail.com, I can get an opinion from a herpetologist friend.

The US Army had a very good illustrated identification booklet on Canal Area venomous snakes, but my copy seems to be missing. In reality, during over 20 years of coming to Cerro Azul and walking in the jungle I have seen very few poisonous snakes but lots of harmless ones.

There is a very good book called Reptiles of Central America by Gunther Köhler that includes photos of all the snakes and lizards, but it ain't cheap and nobody sells it in Panama.

Bill Adsett
142, El Torreón
Responder